Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Beginning Again




Today, I finally finished writing out the book of Proverbs.  It all started over two and a half years ago when I decided to write out the book of Psalms in my own words during my morning devotional time. 

I really grew to love writing out the Psalms and was amazed at how God spoke to me during that time.  No matter what I was going through there was a timely reminder about God and who He is.  I found comfort, encouragement, strength, peace, rebuke, wisdom, woodshed times, grace and mercy among many other things. 

It took two years to get through the book of Psalms and when I concluded it, I thought I would just start back at the beginning and do it all over again.  But I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to carry on with writing out the book of Proverbs.

I struggled at times to complete writing out Proverbs.  I felt like I was going through a dry season and truly missed the deep, intimate fellowship I felt while going through Psalms.  I found myself wanting to slap the son that the father was instructing to stay away from the adulterous woman.  (“For Pete’s sakes, what is it going to take for you to get it boy?”)  Things were not quite as repetitive when I got into more general instructions found in Proverbs and I learned afresh wise instruction in how to live a godly life. 

Now that I’m done with Proverbs and tomorrow plan to start going through Psalms again.  I’ll be in a whole different place in my life this time around…about 32 months after I originally started this practice.  Soon we will be in a whole new state, Texas, and our lives in many respects will be turned upside down.

I’m so looking forward to the reminders that no matter what, God is always there and He never changes. 

Lord…keep my heart and mind close to You.  Help me to see You, the God who never changes, in fresh ways and know with confidence that You are there with me in all my circumstances.  Help me to grow in truth, wisdom and holiness.  May I be a woman after Your own heart. 

1 comment:

Wanda said...

What a unique way of hiding God's word in your heart Susan.

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...