Saturday, April 18, 2015

Cards…What to do?



What is it about cards that makes the so hard to get rid of or throw away.  I even hate saying those words…throw away. 

How can I throw something away when someone I love and respect took the time to write out heart felt sentiments or words of encouragement. 

I’ll put them in a box where they will remain until one day…probably many years from now.  I’ll go through them again and reread someone’s precious words.  Words made even more precious when it’s from someone who has passed away or is no longer in my life. 

I touch the words and trace them with my fingers as if I’m touching the hand of a precious friend I will never see again…at least this side of eternity.  If the person wasn’t a believer, I won’t ever see them again.

For me that’s why it’s so hard to get rid of cards. 

But how can I not get rid of them.  They only mean something to me.  I’ve probably not read most of them since they were given to me.  I put them in a box that I haven’t touch in a long time.  The dust bears witness to that. 

We don’t have kids who we can designate to go through all our stuff when we die.  Even if we did have children, why would I want to make them go through all my stuff?

As we prepared to move to Texas I really struggled with the card issue.  I spent hours going through boxes and boxes of cards.  I went through a bunch and kept some and got rid of the rest.  But now I’m starting the struggle all over again. 

But this time, I’ve come up with a solution of sorts.  I’m scanning them in and posting them to a private board in Pinterest.  That way I can look back at the cards and reread the precious words. 

I’ll still keep some cards…but I can learn to let go too.


4 comments:

Unto The Least of These said...

What a Great idea! I tend to keep all my cards too so I will keep your idea in mind, thanks for sharing! God bless you!

susanwalkergirl said...

Hi Suzanne,

Oh my goodness, just remembering what it was like to go through so many cards. It felt like torture and hurt my heart.

But I've got to say, there's nothing like going back through and reading the words of family and friends.

Hope you have a blessed Lord's day.

Susan

Wanda said...

I like that idea of saving them digitally to a pinterest board. I do keep some cards but I've started dismantling some them and sending the front part to my compassion child.

susanwalkergirl said...

Hi Wanda,

It's so good to hear from you. I hope and pray that you are well. I see that your area has been experiencing some severe weather recently. I pray that the Lord keeps you safe.

I really like your idea on sending the front part to your compassion child. That's a great idea. Thank you for sharing that.

Lord's blessings in Christ to you.

Susan

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...