Monday, February 06, 2012

Tough Love


They call it tough love
Because in the best interest of the person
I have to say “No!”

To tell you the truth
I think it’s harder on me to say no
Than the person on the receiving end

Another desperate phone call
What is it this time? 
How long before I hear another anxious plea?

Intentional or not, there’s manipulation
It’s a no win situation
Feeling a lot like a puppet these days

I don’t even pick up the phone anymore
Just let it go to voicemail
I’ll listen later and ask, “Lord, what should I do?”

Everyone needs a little help now and again
But when you don’t learn to make better choices
It’s time you hear the answer “No!”

As an adult
You need to be responsible and independent
Not always expecting a handout

If I give in to your latest request
All I’m doing is shielding you
From reaping the consequences of bad decisions

So my friend
The answer is “No!”
But I will bring you before the throne of grace in prayer


Susan Wachtel
February 6, 2012


This poem is not about the person going through truly desperate times right now, through no fault of their own.  This is about the person whose made receiving a handout a lifestyle.  The person who never heard or respected the word no.  

When talking with a family member tonight and asking for advice, she reminded me that at times God says no to our pleas for help.  He does it for our good and sometimes the best and most responsible thing we can do is say "No!" and faithfully pray for the person. 

1 comment:

Wanda said...

I can so relate to this poem. Unfortunately I have not mastered the art of saying no, although I feel I am not encouraging their self-sufficiency.

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...