Sunday, August 12, 2007

Faith Walk

Does the faith spoken of in Hebrews 11, the Hall of Faith, seem remote or reserved for the saints during Bible days? Or does it seem as though God gives that extra measure of faith to the “heavy hitters”…such as Abraham or Noah or Elijah or David? After all Abraham was the father of the Jews and through him…our Savior would come. Noah…good golly he faced a world wide flood that came from the first ever rainfall that lasted 40 days and nights…only he and his family would be saved. Elijah…the man who walked with God. David…slew the giant Goliath…he was God’s chosen king of Israel…and forefather to Jesus Christ. Now how can I compare with those saints of old?

Well I am thoroughly convinced that God intends for each of us to walk by faith. A faith that transforms lives…empowers and strengthens us just when we are about to be overwhelmed in our weakness. That faith bears witness to the power and work of God within us.

God who called Abel, Moses, Jacob and Paul…is the same God who called us. The word of God assures us that God never changes.

“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” – Hebrews 13:8

God is no respecter of persons. He is the one who equips us. He calls us. He knows our circumstances…even the ones that are afar off. We have been called according to His perfect plan, purpose and good pleasure. Surely God will equip each of us with a measure of faith…for that which He has called us to according to His perfect plan.

“For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.” – Romans 12:3

“May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.” – Hebrews 13:20-21

So how do we prepare ourselves…so that we might be equipped for every good work that God has called us to. We do that through the reading of His word. Through prayer…because we are building a relationship with God…and we must learn to trust Him, who He is and His character. He is God…and He is good.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” – 2 Timothy 3:16-17

We ought not to be surprised when we go through those bad times of trials and tribulation. For it is there…when we are enduring and God is seemingly silent that we learn to walk by faith, not by sight. Am I going to trust God or am I going to rely on my own strength? Is my focus on God…or my circumstances?

Its God’s work in us…thus we are precluded from boasting or being prideful.

“In order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. – Ephesians 2:7-9


Instead when we see God’s work in us, and though us, it ought to evoke thanksgiving and praise…to Him who is worthy, Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen, amen…so be it!

The Voice of Truth
by Casting Crowns


Oh, what I would do
To have the kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown
Where Jesus is,
And he's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name
and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
time and time again
"Boy, you'll never win,
you'll never win."

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
and the voice of truth says "this is for my glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

Oh, what I would do
to have the kind of strength it takes
To stand before a giant
with just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound
of a thousand warriors
shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out
my name and he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
time and time again
"Boy you'll never win,
you'll never win."

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
and the voice of truth says "this is for my glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

but the stone was just the right size
to put the giant on the ground
and the waves they don't seem so high
from on top of them looking down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
when I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
singing over me

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
The voice of truth says do not be afraid
And the voice of truth says this is for my glory
Out of all the voices calling out to me (calling out to me)
I will choose to listen and believe (I will choose to listen and believe)
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

I will listen and believe
I will listen and believe the voice of truth
I will listen and believe
'Causes Jesus you are the voice of truth
And I will listen to you.. oh you........

No comments:

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...