Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Fresh Work

As Bible Study Fellowship was about to begin this fall…I found myself quite ready to begin our study in Matthew. Only this time…I desire and look forward to a fresh work that God will do in my life as I study His word.

Last year I really struggled to get through the year…for numerous reasons. But this year...I wanted to start clean.

My friend Jo shared that recently she threw away many years of her Bible studies from Community Bible Study. Like me…she found herself just plain running out of space. Not only was space an issue…but I realized that I never go back and reference them again. If I looked back at old lessons and notes that would be one thing…but instead they sit on the shelf and collect dust. Are there times when I let my relationship with God sit on the shelf and collect dust?

So that’s why I bite the bullet and pitched out all my years of Bible Study Fellowship lessons. As I did so…I realized that I didn’t want to rest on my laurels…and take God for granted. I don’t want my relationship with God to sit on the shelf and collect duct. I fear I will be prideful and think well gee wiz I’ve been doing BSF for 8 or 9 years now…I’ve got my relationship with God dialed. When in fact…nothing could be further from the truth.

At times my faith walk…hits the perfect stride. But I can be sure that won’t last. At times…my walk slows down a bit and I get my eyes off the path. Other times…I’m stumble, get lazy or sit by the wayside.

I can’t afford to take God for granted and in all honesty…at times I think I do just that. He’s there for when I need Him…but if things are going good I develop the attitude that “I’ll get back to you later God…have a nice day.” Or worse when things are bit turbulent I find myself angry with God because I know He could intervene if He so chose to do so. I want to make God my “big genie in the sky” and snap his fingers at my command…rather than to humbly submit to God and His plan for me. To obey the very God who created me. To put God first…over and above me. To have a high view of Him and a low view of me.

Good gracious…how can I have been a Christian for all these years and have studied the Bible and yet find myself getting so far afield? Like Paul…I find my sin nature if very much alive and well this side of eternity.

That’s why I don’t want this all too important relationship getting dusty or to take it for granted. I want to start fresh and see God do a new and present work in my life. What does He have to say to me today? What does He want to do in me and my life today? When I’m focused on the past…both the good and bad…I’ll miss God’s work today.

The past doesn’t mean anything in so far as God is a now and present God. I can have a whole lifetime and resume of accomplishments that will amount to nothing if God is not active, alive and at work in me today.

Now I’m trying to focus on what is God trying to show me through this lesson…this week. What is He saying to me today…as I study His word?

This week…He’s made it abundantly clear that I can do nothing…not a blessed thing without Him. I can’t even get through a normal day on my own power and strength. When I’m not reading and studying His word daily…I am not equipped for what I will encounter. When I am not in daily prayer with God…I’m not able to go to God and seek Him, His peace, His wisdom, power and strength. Life is just too plain hard to do it alone.

So Jesus…I desire for You to daily do a fresh, new work in both me and in my life. Keep me close to You Jesus…even if I go astray…draw me back to You.

Just like the dawning of a new day…I’m excited to see what You Lord will do in my life today. As You set the morning sky ablaze…may You set my heart on fire for You.

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...