Saturday, October 24, 2009

Is Your Email Saved?




I’ve wanted to write about the topic of email for some time now.  Specifically, about the emails that I receive from Christians.  More often than not the emails have been forwarded from someone else.

When I take the time to read the email…all too often I find myself wondering, “Did this come from a Christian?”  Did they actually take the time to read this before they sent it?  If they did read it, why did they think it was remotely fitting or appropriate for a Christian to send?

I receive emails from Christians that have filthy language, sexual innuendo or worse.  There are the emails that mock people for their looks, how they dress and their race.

I’m not surprised when I receive something like that from an unbeliever.  But when it’s from a Christian…not only am I shocked and amazed…I’m deeply saddened.  In fact, I’d say I get less inappropriate emails from non Christians than I do from Christians.  Why?  Because the unbelievers know I’m a Christian and they are respectful of that fact.

If someone were to read the email that you send…would they know that you are a Christian?

Here are some general guidelines that all Christians should apply to our communication…be it emails, conversation, or what we read, watch and listen to.

You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived.  But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.  Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices.   Colossians 3:7-9

….as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” – 1 Peter 1:14-16

You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; - Ephesians 4:22

It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; - 1 Thessalonians 4:3

The LORD detests men of perverse heart but he delights in those whose ways are blameless. – Proverbs 11:20

 

At first glance some of the emails may seem funny…but when you take a closer look…be it something that mocks people, uses cuss words or laughs at sexual immorality…what’s so funny about that?

I don’t think it any accident that the enemy has deceived Christians to go along with the world and be just like them.  We can even laugh at that which Christ died for.  When we compromise…what does the world see different about Christians?  What do we have to offer the world…when we are living like unbelievers? 

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. – Romans 12:1-2


I’m sure that there are many Christians that are shaking their heads…and saying, “Loosen up Susan…there’s no harm in it…we’re just having a good laugh or two.  Who are you to judge?”

I’m not worthy to judge anyone.  But I know that I will give an account to God.  He tells me that I will give an account to Him…for every idle word.  Everything will be laid bare before Him and He knows the motives of my heart.

It’s not about following the rules as much as it is about loving Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.  Wanting to live my life in such a manner that what I do is good and pleasing to Him.

Lest you think I’m deluding myself and believe that I actually achieve that all the time…I know that I don’t.  I know that I fall short.  Without the power of the Holy Spirit within me…I’m incapable living a life that is pleasing to God.  But as I yield to God, strive to live in a manner worthy of my high calling…I’m able to do it more.  I won’t be made perfect this side of heaven.  But praise God…He is in the process of sanctifying me.

In light of God’s word…does your email reflect your Christian faith?  Is your email saved?


No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...