Saturday, January 18, 2014

Five Minute Friday – Impactful Words




Why your words matter…what a powerful and thought provoking idea. 

Immediately it brings to mind memories, both good and bad, of words spoken by me and others. 

Words that…

Sting
        Hurt
                Crush the spirit
                        Kill
                                Teardown
Injure
        Cut
                Are Harsh
                        Graceless
                                Bitter
Wrath-filled
        Rage
                Destroy
                        Steal
                                Unforgiving

Words that will be remembered for a lifetime. 

Words of life
        and death
                Good
                        and evil

Words that…

Encourage
        Build up
                Heal
                        Strengthen
                                Tender
Grace filled
        Hope
                Thankful
                        Gratitude
                                Peace
Joy
        Forgiveness
                Life giving

Christ centered words
        Other centered words
                Self-centered words

Words I should never have said
        Words I wished I had never heard

Words I regret
        Words I wished I had said

Words that can’t be taken back
        Words that can never be said

Timely words
        Timeless words

Truth
        Lies

Opportune time
        The wrong time

Words that reveal the darkness of soul without Christ

Words that reveal the transforming work of Christ in our lives

Words that honor and glorify God
Words that bring reproach from unbelievers

Even now, 40 years later, I can still remember words I wish I had never heard.  Words that impacted me for life.  I also remember the words of those who sow life giving, timeless truth from God’s word into my life.

What words will I choose today?  I need to remember that words really do matter. 

Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.
Proverbs 18:21

It’s another Saturday morn and I wanted to participate in Lisa-Jo Baker’s FiveMinute Friday writing challenge.  Head over to her website “Lisa Jo Baker Tales from a Gypsy Mama”.  Be sure to read some of the entries from other writers.  I can promise you that you will be blessed.

2 comments:

Wanda said...

Words so quickly uttered but they certainly can last a lifetime Susan.

Ceil said...

Hi Susan! Yikes, your study on words was a real 'wake up call' for me. Like Wanda said, a careless word can really damage. But I have to hope that i am more than a careless word. That God will help me to realize what I am doing, and make amends.
I am in a new blog home! I'm now at www.ceilryan.com
It was a big move, but I hope to love it.
Great to see you again, my friend :)
Ceil

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...