Thursday, November 06, 2014

Making a Home in Texas



When I looked at the calendar today, I realized that it’s been exactly 2 months since my husband Chris and I left California to move to Texas. 

In many respects it’s been an overwhelming two months, make that four months.  Once we made the decision to move, we contacted our realtor and got the house ready to put on the market.  In an answer to prayer our home sold quickly and following a short escrow we were on our way to Texas. 

Leaving California was a hard thing to do.  Hard because we left family, friends and our church, Kindred Community Church.  We left a home that we loved and the state with an abundance of blessings.  A place where the weather is nice most of the time and you can be at the beach, desert and mountains in just a short time away.  It was hard to leave, but we both felt the Lord was leading us to move. 

I’m so grateful that I didn’t know just how hard this would be…if I had known, I might have stayed put.  Thankfully, the Lord has walked with us through this each and every day. 

Oh my goodness…I can scarcely believe the 1,500 mile drive with cars fully loaded with 3 cats, 2 birds and enough of our belongs to help us get through our time in temporary housing.  When we arrived we got settled in temporary housing, shortly thereafter we started our search for a new home.

In less than two weeks we found a home to purchase in a city we hadn’t really previously considered.  The Lord was with us as we went through and extended escrow period and all the demands required from the mortgage company with our limited access to documents and records. 

On October 31st, we moved into our new home.  Boxes are scattered hither and yon and begging to be emptied and have things put away.  As much stuff as we gave away and threw away before we moved, I wish we had gotten rid of more stuff.  I didn’t realize how much stuff we had until we moved. 

In the two months since we arrived in Texas, not only did we find a home, but we found a church home where the Word of God is faithfully taught.  There are many opportunities to study God’s Word throughout the week. 

Something I took for granted is being in a church were you’ve been for a long time, you know people and they know you.  Your lives are intertwined as you pray for one another and go through life together. 

On my first day in a woman’s Bible study I just wanted to cry.  It was weird being in a place where no one knows me and I don’t know them.  But the Lord comforted me with the assurance that overtime, our hearts and lives will be knit together and I will make friends.  Right now I still feel rather isolated.  I want to make sure that I remember what it’s like to be the new kid on the block and I’m grateful for the kindness of the ladies in the Bible study who reached out and befriended me.

In the past two months my blogging has been very sparse, but I hope to get back in the swing of things.  I’m transcribing the Psalms that I have been writing out during my morning devotional time.  I want to write about what the Lord has been teaching me. 

As hard as it’s been, there are many good things about Texas and I hope to share some of those things too.


No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...