Friday, July 10, 2015

Summer Bible Reading



This summer I’m trying to slow down in my daily Bible reading.  Rather than reading through a chapter or two without taking the time to reflect on the passage, I’m reading a smaller number of verses and reflecting on what I see.  What I see about God the Father, Christ Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit.  What I see about truth, right and wrong, sin, repentance, obedience, forgiveness, love and so much more.

In today’s passage from Mark 4:35-41 here are some things I saw and reflected on.  

Jesus humanity…being fully human He gets tired and falls asleep.  Jesus divinity when He rebukes the wind and the waves and they obey Him.  Jesus is fully God and fully Man.  I see His authority over nature.  That got me to thinking, the winds and waves obey Christ, but what about me?  Do I obey Him?  In all honesty no I don’t always obey Him, at least not like I should.  In those times when I don’t obey Him I see His mercy and patience, not dealing with me as I deserve.  In the midst of the storms of life when I am being tossed about do I trust God?  Do I run to Him?  Am I fearful?  Do I accuse Him of not caring?  Do I try to get through it on my own strength?  When He rebukes me do I listen?  Do I have a fear and reverence of God?  While I would like to say I do, but I confess I don’t always.  Certainly not in the measure that God deserves.  That’s not good, nor is it pleasing or honoring to God.  It’s not an encouragement to fellow believers, nor a good example to unbelievers.  Do I know with absolute confidence that God can do the impossible?  When I have a storm of emotions going on within me Jesus can calm the storm.  He can say, “Peace, be still.”  Will I listen?  Will I get my eyes on the Lord and not the storm?  Will I trust where He leads, even when it means going into a storm?  Jesus is caring and compassionate.  He cares even when I feel like He doesn’t.  He is able, well able to handle the things that concern me today, tomorrow and always.  Will I choose to trust Him and bring to Him the storms and troubles that concern me?  Will I choose to praise Christ Jesus and thank Him at all times, not only when things are going well?  If Jesus’ disciples feared Him, the ones that saw Him up close and personal and lived with Him for three years, shouldn’t I fear Him too? 

What are some of the truths you see in this passage from Mark 4:35-41? 

Wind and Wave Obey Jesus
35 On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.” 36 Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. 38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”

39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. 40 But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” 41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”

2 comments:

Denise said...

glad you shared.

susanwalkergirl said...

Thanks Denise for stopping by. I sure miss our CBS Bible study and look forward to starting again in the fall. I especially love hearing what others share. We read the same passage and they may have a different insight or word something a little different.

Hope you are enjoying your summer!

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...