Monday, October 17, 2016

The Witnesses by Robert Whitlow - A Gifted Storyteller

I’ve read some of Robert Whitlow’s previous books and was thrilled at the opportunity to read his newest release, The Witnesses.  While reading this book, I was reminded why Robert Whitlow is one of my favorite authors.  This man is a gifted storyteller and he knows how to weave a story together with intrigue, mystery and characters you want to get to know better. 

The Witnesses tells the story of two generations of the House family.  Frank is from Germany, a former Nazi and grandfather to Parker who is an attorney in a small town in North Carolina.  Both men have a unique gift that they can use for good or evil.  How will Frank reconcile his past participation in unimaginable horrors?  Will he ever find rest and peace for his soul?  Parker’s career is just beginning, he’s the new man on the totem and working long hours.  How long will he have to wait to sink his teeth into some weighty cases and prove himself as an attorney?

As the storyline develops, Robert slowly unveils the characters, layer by layer.  He has keen, thought provoking and honest insights into people and their circumstances.  His characters are very relatable.  I especially liked the relationships: between Frank and Parker and their love and respect for one another, the friendship between Frank and his longtime friend Lenny and the instantaneous bond between Layla and Frank.  As a Christian, I appreciate how Robert weaves the Christian faith into his character’s lives.  He did a great job in presenting the Gospel message and showing the Christian faith lived out in everyday life.  I would never have guessed that I would like a story that involves a former Nazi, much less like the character; but I did. 

This book is well written, with interesting characters that will draw you in.  I found myself thinking about the characters when I wasn’t reading, they kind of come alive.  One thing I love about a book is when a character perfectly expresses what you’ve been feeling, but didn’t quite know how to put into words. 

I highly recommend The Witnesses by Robert Whitlow, a tale of two men who have a unique gift of seeing what will happen in the future.  One man is looking back on a life with some very ugly sins he can’t seem to get away from and the other just starting his career.  Will he put his career over and above love?  To find out what happens in the lives of these men you will want to read The Witnesses by Robert Whitlow.

I would like to thank BookLook and Thomas Nelson Publishers for providing me a free copy The Witnesses by Robert Whitlow.  I was under no obligation to give a favorable review. 


No comments:

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...