Thursday, May 24, 2018

Pelican Point – A Hope Harbor Novel by Irene Hannon – Encouraging and Hope-Filled


When I find an author whose writing I like, I want to read everything that they’ve written and Irene Hannon is one of those authors.  That’s why I was excited at the opportunity to read her newest book Pelican Point, A Hope Harbor Novel.

One of the things I like best about Irene’s writing are the characters who seem like kind and caring people.  Ben is at a transition in his life.  He’s was an orthopedic surgeon with the military but is getting back to the civilian life.  His grandfather Skip’s death changed his plans and he has to stay in Pelican Point for a few weeks to deal with Skip’s financial affairs, which included the purchase of a lighthouse that is in a state of disrepair.  His unexpected meeting with Marci, who seem quite irrational, didn’t go so well despite his good intentions.  After that incident, he just wants to wrap things up and get on to the new life he’s planned. 

Not only are the main characters interesting and likable people, so are the secondary characters who help flesh out the town.  I especially like Charley (and his tacos) and was encouraged to see Greg and Rachel grow and change in the face of challenging circumstances.  The characters seem very real.  The beautiful scenery in Pelican Point is described in such a way that the reader can imagine what the place looks like. 

Irene writes in a way that gives you hope.  The Christian faith is a part of some of her character’s lives.  At times the dialogue is thought provoking and insightful and I highlight it because I want to read it again. 

I really liked the storyline and characters and wish this town actually existed because I would love to go there.  Instead, I get to enjoy it through the imagination and excellent writing of Irene Hannon.  If you want to read a story that will encourage your faith, be sure to read Pelican Point.  Reading Irene’s Hope Harbor series is like going home to a comfortable welcoming place. 

I would like to thank NetGalley and Revell Publishing for the opportunity to read Pelican Point by Irene Hannon.  I was under no obligation to give a favorable review. 


No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...