Saturday, May 09, 2020

Remembering Rudy



Oh, how my heart hurts
For my sweet boy Rudy
Has passed away
So sudden and unexpected

I’m surrounded by so many memories
Everywhere I turn
I remember where you were
Because everything has a story

You came into my life during some difficult years
I remember adopting you, this cute little orange kitten
Rather scrappy but oh so full of personality
That boy could purr

When we open the door
You were always there to greet us
You never knew a stranger
Always eager to meet someone new

Perched on your cat stand
You looked out the window
Watched the birds
Then napped in the sun

With patience you waited for your brother Junior
Until he came out of hiding three weeks later
Then you became fast friends for life
Sure, you had your little tussles but they didn’t last

When Sissy came along
You watched and waited for her
Soon she was with you 24/7
How her heart must be hurting right now

I will always remember our drive from California to Texas, 3 ½ days
3 kitties in their carries, 2 birds in a cage, winding our way in 2 cars
Junior and Sissy slept in their litter box and piddled in their beds
Only Rudy got it right

Oh, how my sweet boy loved sunshine
Catching a patch of morning sunshine in the office
Sitting on the tub for early afternoon
Catching the last rays of sun as you lay on our bed

Boy oh boy, did Rudy love to eat
The big boy with the tiny meow
Persistently and loudly let us know it was breakfast time
Getting close to dinner, Rudy was there to keep me on track

Rudy knew the real deal
A piece of chicken or tuna, uh no thank you
Cat treats, No!  Wouldn’t touch it!
He stuck with the real stuff, canned food and dry

Towards the end of his days
When his sight was failing
He would tap his water so he could know it was there
Then we would find a little trail of Rudy prints on the floor

Rudy loved to be loved
He loved to meet new people
He made friends where ever he went, even the vets
We often heard, “He is so sweet!”

But he had a special friendship
With our friend Julie
My social butterfly needed companionship
So, Julie came and spent time with him while we were away

When we had guests
The other kitties were scarce
But Rudy safely guarded Ron and Carol
Keeping watch just outside their door

Rudy loved water, at bath time
He would sit on the side and drape his tail in the water
After a shower, he could be found sitting in the stall
Not the least disturbed by the water

Clipping his nails was a breeze
I could easily snip them off and be done
Not so with Junior who has to be tackled
Taking three times longer

Rudy wasn’t fearful or afraid
I never heard him growl or hiss
Towards the end, he was leery of our new dryer
He could see the clothes through the glass door and rushed on by

My favorite time with Ru was nap time
He would never sit on my lap
But he loved to curl up and lay by my side
Tucked safely under the blanket

He slept better than anyone I’ve ever known
And he snored…loudly!
When we let him sleep in our room
He slept the whole night through

It was fun to watch Rudy, even in his old age
Have moments when he was frisky and playful
Batting a catnip mouse on the floor
Or watching the ball go around the cat scratcher

The end came sudden and so unexpected
What seemed like a simple vet visit
Soon escalated into something serious
We had a hard decision to make

You sought to be alone, curled up in a corner
Suddenly, Sissy hissed, was afraid and stayed away
Junior who had been with you for years
Wouldn’t come near and ran away

As you laid in your bed in the sun
Sissy fearfully peered around the corner
With big eyes she watched
Then ran away

As we drove to the vet
I sat beside you
Petting you for the last time
My poor boy, you were suffering and in pain

In tears we held you
Heard you purr your last purr
And then you were gone
Rudy, you took a piece of my heart with you

It’s hard walking in our home and remember you are no longer there
Each room I enter there are memories of you
I miss you my sweet boy, you were my ray of sunshine
Ever so grateful that you were ours for 13 ½ years

Rudy, mama’s sweet boy
Adopted October 28, 2006
Died May 7, 2020


No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...