Wednesday, March 02, 2022

The Secret Life of an American Codebreaker by Jan Slimming – Compelling, Fascinating and Interesting

Do you find World War II history fascinating?  I do, and that is why I was excited to read Jan Slimming’s new book The Secret Life of an American Codebreaker. 

 

The book starts out telling the story of Janice Martin, a young college student who was recruited to learn about and employ the much-needed skill of codebreaking during the pivotal time in our Country, World War II. 

 

Janice is the focus of the book, but the book is about more than one person.  Periodically, the story comes back around to what was happening in Janice’s life at that time.  The story includes the history of cryptography and codebreaking.  You will learn about brilliant individuals who worked together to break the coded messages of our enemies during WWII.  That information was passed along to our military leaders to use and effectively win the battles. 

 

The Secret Life of an American Codebreaker was a fascinating book and goes into a lot of detail about how Americans, Great Britain, and the Allied forces worked together.  An early version of computers was developed to help analyze the large volume and ever-changing data that was coming in from the enemies’ encrypted messages. 

 

I found The Secret Life of an American Codebreaker by Jan Slimming to be a very interesting and compelling book.  I highly recommend it, especially if you like history, stories about WWII, and intrigue. 

 

After reading this book, it makes me wish that I had sat down with my parents and other family members and learned about the work they did in WWII.  I cannot imagine how different the world would have been if not for the courageous work and sacrifice of so many during World War II.

 

I would like to thank Pen & Sword Publishers and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of The Secret Life of an American Codebreaker by Jan Slimming.  I was under no obligation to give a favorable review. 

 

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...