Saturday, September 17, 2022

The Rising Tide by Ann Cleeves – Great Storyteller Brings Beloved and Determined Vera Stanhope to Life

The Rising Tide by Ann Cleeves is the tenth book about DI Vera Stanhope.  I’ve watched the PBS series on Vera over the years but never read a novel by Ann Cleeves.  She makes the characters come alive as she reveals details about their personalities and lives while unveiling the mystery. 

 

The Rising Tide is about a group of friends who have known each other since high school.  Fifty years ago, their teacher had organized a weekend, Only Connect, where the group members bonded.  They’ve been gathering every five years since.  During the first reunion, one of their friends, Isobel, was killed in a terrible tragedy.  On their 50th reunion, friend Rick Kelsall was found hanged.  Was it suicide or murder?  You can be sure that Vera and her team will not rest until they find out the truth about what happened, why, and who is responsible.

 

Vera Stanhope is one of my favorite characters.  I love her dogged determination to solve a case and bring justice for the deceased.  She is not intimidated by powerful and influential people and treats all potential suspects the same way.  I especially appreciated getting a better understanding and insight into Vera’s team members Joe, Holly, Billy, and Paul. 

 

I enjoyed reading The Rising Tide and getting to know the characters better.  Ann Cleeves does a great job bringing characters to life and describing the scenes so the reader can visualize what’s happening.  She’s a great storyteller and I highly recommend The Rising Tide by Ann Cleeves.

 

I would like to thank St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of The Rising Tide by Ann Cleeves.  I was under no obligation to give a favorable review. 

 

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...