Thursday, January 25, 2024

All the Presidents’ Gardens by Marta McDowell – A Refreshing and Lovely Read

 


Maybe it was the winter season that piqued my interest in reading Marta McDowell’s book All the Presidents’ Gardens.  With our garden at rest, it was a lovely time to read about the history of the Presidents’ gardens at the White House over the last 235 years.

 

I absolutely loved reading this book.  It was a combination of history, gardening, with a little bit of biographies mixed-together.  It was refreshing to see the love of gardening from our Presidents, their wives, and families, and how they enjoyed the fruits of the labor of those who executed design plans.  What a huge task for the men and women who designed the gardens over the years.  I found it interesting to learn how everyone’s background, education, and experience influenced the designs, selection of plants, and the additions of other elements to make the gardens what they wanted. 

 

As a gardener, I found I connected with the Presidents and their families that had a love for gardening.  I appreciated their desire for seed and plant preservation.  I came away from reading this book with a new appreciation for how gardening is passed down from one generation to another.

 

If you love gardening, history, biographies, or design, I highly recommend All the Presidents’ Gardens by Marta McDowell.  This was a lovely and refreshing book to read. 

 

I would like to thank Timber Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of All the Presidents’ Gardens by Marta McDowell.  I was under no obligation to give a favorable review. 

 


No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...