Friday, April 19, 2024

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

 


When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters, I wanted to read it.  So glad I had the opportunity.  It was a great book.  

 

Monica Voekler loved her husband Haris and enjoyed their life together in East Berlin with their daughter Luisa.  But she did not share Haris’ appreciation for the GDR government.  The day came when the wall went up, guards would not let people pass through to West Berlin, and razor wire deterred citizens trying to escape.  That day Monica was desperate and would resort to the unthinkable to ensure her daughter would be safe.  She tossed her beloved daughter to her father on the other side of the wall.  Their lives changed that day, for Monica and Haris, and for three-year-old Luisa and her Grandparents who later moved to America.

 

The Berlin Letters is a wonderful read.  The novel takes place during the Cold War and spans 28 years, from 1961 to 1989.  It tells the story about a family divided and torn apart by the oppressive German Democratic Republic and the Berlin Wall.  It is filled with mystery, intrigue, secrets, spies, snitches, encrypted letters, and code breaking.  It tells the story of people who risked their lives to get the truth out the world with the hope of change and freedom. 

 

As fascinating as the intrigue is the story was made even more compelling by the characters and their relationships.  The characters came across as very real as we learn about their experiences and what they are thinking and feeling.  The characters grew and changed over the years.

 

I enjoyed reading historical fiction and Katherine Reay did a fabulous job making the characters come to life during the fascinating time of the Cold War.  The Berlin Letters is a is compelling, thoughtful novel, and filled with intrigue. 

 

The Berlin Letters is the first novel I have read by Katherine Reay and I am so glad I discovered her work.  I was reminded when reading this book, what an incredible time we lived through when we saw the Berlin Wall come down and freedom come to those who were oppressed.  I look forward to reading more of her books. 

 

I would like to thank Publisher Harper Muse and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a complementary copy of The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay.  I was under no obligation to give a favorable review. 

 


No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...