Monday, March 12, 2007

3/11/07 At the End of the Day…A Pure Voice

As I sit here this evening…I’m sleepified and ready to nod off. The air smells of smoke as wild fires burn in the not too far distance.

It’s pledge week on PBS and during this time they have great specials. Earlier today I watched a production of South Pacific. When listening to the lovely music…I was transported back to an earlier time in my life when I had a love and passion for Broadway musicals. I guess I still do hold a special place in my heart for that music. All kinds of music really. Eclectic would be the best description of my taste in music. Everything from Rock and Roll to classical, from Gospel to Broadway music, from country to swing and jazz and the classics from Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and oh so many more.

I love music…and thank God daily for the gift of music. Just think of the ability of songs and music to transport you…to transform your mood and your thoughts. Rather miraculous when you think of it. What a lovely gift it is.

This evening’s PBS show featured John Denver. Being that I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s…John Denver was a singer I was very familiar with. Loved his songs…and his sweet and gentle spirit. Tonight while listening to John’s songs…I felt such a profound sadness. What a loss…made particularly poignant by his demise at such a young age.

I was struck by how pure his voice was. Clean and pure. The other singer that comes to mind when I think of the pureness in their voice is Karen Carpenter. Another singer from my youth…whose tragic life and death make memories of her seem so very sad.

It seems so sad to think that people whom God had gifted so generously…that their voice would be stilled.

I do believe I’ll have another I-tunes album to download…this time it’s John Denver. Even in the sadness of his death…his music still brings great joy and happiness.

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...