Thursday, March 01, 2007

Believe God?

So the question is…am I going to believe God or am I going to believe my circumstances? Am I going to trust God, His character and His Word or will I trust my roller coaster emotions? Will I trust God’s promises and faithfulness in the past as a testimony on how He remains the same, yesterday, today and forever? Or will I trust fleeting and changing circumstances that are but temporary, not eternal?

I’ve spent the better part of my life solely trusting my feelings…looking back on circumstances that didn’t turn out quite like I had planned or hoped…and believing that’s how it would always be.

I’m tired of living like that…that’s it…no more. I’m drawing a line in the sand. No more circumstantial living. I want a close, personal, intimate relationship with the God who created me, my Savior who perished on the cross to pay the penalty for my sins, and the Holy Spirit Who dwells within me.

In the past year…when circumstances didn’t go my way…when my emotions were all over the board…God continued to impress upon me scripture verses that helped me to put my hope in God. To trust Him despite what was happening in my life. To know that my God is faithful and He is able, more than able to accomplish any and all things that concern me, now and forevermore.

So I probably look like a crazy person to the outside observer…to the one who does not know God. Maybe I am…but not about this. Because I tell you…I will stand firm, consecrate myself and see the Lord’s deliverance. I will look to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who will prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.

2 Chronicles 20:17 was the first scripture that God gave me last year about time. I’ve clung to it through the ups and downs in the past year.

“You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you." – 2 Chronicles 20:17

Joshua 3:5 was the scripture that God gave me as the New Year began. It encouraged my heart, mind soul and spirit and helped me to put my trust in God…not my circumstances. Despite all appearances…my God is faithful and He is working all things together for good for those who love Him and have been called according to His purposes.

Joshua told the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you." – Joshua 3:5

In the face of recent defeat…that resurrected feelings of failure God gave me Psalm 23:5 to remind me that in His perfect timing He will not only deliver me…but do so in the presence of my enemies.

Psalm 23:5
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

How, when and where this amazing deliverance will occur I don’t rightly know. It will likely be in manner I never anticipated, long after I felt like I could endure no longer and when I feel at my lowest and surrounded by enemies.

Just like Lazarus who laid three days in the tomb…this girl is starting to stink. But watch out…Sunday’s coming and I shall see my deliverance. One day …shall see my Savior and my Deliverer face to face. Praise God!

No comments:

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...