Friday, July 16, 2010

Working Women


One of the questions from last evening’s devotional asked the husband if he felt that his wife appreciates his work. 

My husband Chris responded that he felt that I appreciate the work that he does around the home more than I appreciate the work he does at his job, because I see what he does around our home and the yard.  But he felt that I really don’t know what he does at work and don’t see him in action.

I explained that yes I do appreciate the fact that he is hard working and gainfully employed.  That he is respected and well thought of in his job and has advanced in his career.

After seeing some poor examples guys who are not employed…not temporarily because of a job layoff or due to illness…but because they are lazy and just plain don’t want to work…I greatly appreciate a man who goes to work day after day to earn a living and care for his family. 

I appreciate my husband’s job because through it he is able to care for our family…even if it’s just the two of us.  God wants a husband to provide and protect.  Chris is faithful, honorable and dedicated to do what God requires.

Even as I say that…I know that there are instances, through no fault of the people involved, where a husband may not be able to work…due to being laid off or illness.   Goodness knows that even people who want to find jobs in this bad economy, they may have to keep looking for an extended period of time.  Perseverance bears witness of a man who is responsible and continues to search for employment despite limited job opportunities.  There are also men and women who have been struck with a debilitating illness who would love to work…but because of their affliction…they are physically not able to work. 

I assured Chris that I do appreciate the work that he does…both in our home and at his job. 

I went on to say that I believe that a working woman may not appreciate a husband who works as much as a stay at home wife and mother.  The wife who works within the home and is committed to raising their children and being there for them…may have a deeper appreciation for her husband’s dedication and sacrifice for her and their family.

But a working woman…she’s out there in the job market too.  She is also enduring demands, challenges and difficulties in the workplace, just like men do.  She’s also out there working hard to bring home a paycheck to help the family and pay bills.  Because of that…the appreciation for the responsibility that a man bears to care for his family may be lessened.  Perhaps less so for a Christian wife…because we know what God requires of a husband.

I can’t help but think that it also impacts that all import area of respect. 

While it’s common and may even be necessary for women to work outside the home…I can’t help but think that the impact on marriages, husbands, wives and children is not all good.  There is a price to pay for everything.  I wonder sometimes...is the cost too high? 

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...