Saturday, January 14, 2012

Listening to God




Do you ever go through those seasons where God seems distant?  


David Fisher at Pilgrim Scribblings recently had a post “Powerfully Present” in which I related to his quote:  “If God seems absent tonight...He's not!  Maybe hidden but NOT gone!”


I’m going through one of those seasons right now.  I continue to read God’s word, pray, attend church and participate in Bible studies.  But God seems distant from me.  


But there have been moments when God has quietly spoken.  Such as when I start my day and I’m tempted to dive right in because there is always so much to do.  But I feel God calling me, “Susan, don’t you want to hear what I have to say to you before you start your day?”  I feel His call to pick up my Bible and read from the scriptures and read from my devotionals.


In the past, I’ve tried to keep a journal, but it’s always been something I started only to stop within a few days.  A couple of weeks ago, I felt God leading me to jot down in a notebook when I’m reading through the Bible verses that stand out to me, or record what’s going on with me that day that I’m struggling with or rejoicing over.  


As I’m going through my day I’m on the lookout for Jesus.  When I have those encounters I’m writing them down in a small notebook.  It may be the Holy Spirit bringing to mind something I’ve studied, or it might be something I hear while listening to a radio program or an encouraging or convicting word that some speaks to me.  


During this time when God seems distant, I feel led to ask the Lord is there some area of sin in my life that is displeasing or dishonoring to You?  Is there something that I need to repent of?  Do I have a wrong attitude or is there an overt action that I need to repent of?  


May my heart be tender towards the Lord and may I be sensitive to His Holy Spirit.



2 comments:

Sandy said...

Yes, I absolutely go through those seasons and I know every Christian does. It's normal, it's hard, but normal nonetheless. I find if I put everything out of my mind except just giving Him praise soon those feelings pass and I am refreshed again.
Blessings~

Aritha V. said...

I think we all have our periods of absence from our God and Savior. Times He seems far away. In the book of Psalms and the Song of Solomon you will meet people who like living in a desert: thirst for living water.

I think He appreciates that we cling to His word. As the poet of Psalm 77. Or others. Refuge in Jesus, ever our feelings are not the same as other days ... Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever.

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...