Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Trust Your Heart?




It makes me a little crazy when I see home décor signs or Pinterest posts that that encourage us to “trust or follow your heart”. 

In the Bible, God tells us that apart from God our hearts are deceitfully wicked above all things.  Repeatedly throughout the Bible I learn that, apart from Christ, the human heart is sinful, wicked, prideful, hardened, hard as stone, deceived, stubborn, turned away, from the Lord, not wholly devoted, divided, godless, unfeeling, embittered, perverse, arrogant, devises wicked plans, is cunning, proclaims folly, envies, is faithless, darkened, greedy, and unbelieving…to name a few things.  In this broken and sinful world, I’d rather trust in God’s inerrant Word than my heart!

How many times have I looked back at my life and been exceedingly grateful that God did not answer my prayers and give me the desires of my heart?  More times than I can recall!  Praise God for His No’s!

How often is my heart swayed by emotions and feelings?  Driven by other people’s opinions and my desire to be accepted?  How often do I buy the world’s lie that I deserve something?  Praise God that He doesn’t give me what I really deserve.    

The Bible also tells me that God can create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me.  A broken and contrite heart God will not despise.  May the Lord guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus.  May my heart be tender and humble before the Lord.  May my heart be wholly devoted to the Lord.

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...