Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Seeds of Murder by Rosie Sandler – Interesting Mix of Gardening and Mystery

 
After reading the description of Seeds of Murder by Rosie Sandler, I wanted to give this British novel a try. I was hoping it would be reminiscent of Rosemary & Thyme, a nice mix of gardening and mystery.  


Steph Williams needs a job and hopes to be hired as the gardener at Beaulieu Heights, a small wealthy estate in England. Wherever Steph goes, her faithful companion Mouse goes too. To say that the residents are quirky is an understatement. Some are more welcoming than others. It seems that all the homeowners have their secrets. But would any of them be willing to break the law to protect their secrets? To steal, blackmail, or even commit murder? Just as Steph is getting a handle on the various gardens, she receives a threatening note. To make things worse, the residents have accused Steph of blackmail. How in the world will she clear her name, much less keep her job?


It took me a little while to get used to the first-person writing style and the British terms. But once I did, I enjoyed reading this book. I liked Steph and her dog Mouse. Loved reading the descriptions of the gardens, about plants and the work to be done. I could almost visualize the settings. The people in Beaulieu Heights, both residents and workers, were an interesting group. A few were friendly and some you would want to avoid. Steph was a very likable character, as was her dog. 


The residents of Beaulieu Heights were an interest mix. Though very wealthy and seemingly in need of nothing, their lives were a bit of trainwreck. I liked some of the friendships that Steph developed with both the residents and staff members. I enjoyed Steph’s relationship with her brother and parents. There were lots of weeds to dig through to get to the bottom of the mystery. I did not guess who the bad guy was.  


There were a few moments that I found touching. Like the kindness and encouragement of a few people when Steph stood wrongly accused. Or the support and love from her brother and dad. The progress in her relationship with her mom. 


Not going to give away the ending. But I would have liked to have seen justice. One mystery not wrapped up is what happened to Steph’s ex-husband who seemed to disappear.  


There is some profanity in the book, as well as revealing sexual immorality that some of the characters had been involved with. Thankfully, it did not go into graphic detail.  


I enjoyed reading this mystery Seeds of Murder by Rosie Sandler. It was a change of pace from my regular reading. If you enjoy mysteries and gardening, you might enjoy this novel.


I would like to thank Embla Books and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of Seeds of Murder by Rosie Sandler. I was under no obligation to give a favorable review.  

 

 


No comments:

Mary’s Calico Hope by Anne Blackburne – Likeable Characters, Faith, Friendship and Hope

I was excited to read  Anne Blackburne’s   newest book   Mary’s Calico Hope , the fifth book in   The Heart of the Amish   series.   Mary Yo...