Thursday, August 10, 2023

Wildflower Falls by Denise Hunter – Beautiful Setting and Likeable Characters

 


Wildflower Falls is Denise Hunter’s newest book, the fourth book in the Riverbend Romance series.  I was excited to read it because I have enjoyed a couple of other books by Denise. 

Following the death of their mother, Charlotte Simpson and her step-sister Emerson are owners of a horse ranch.  Charlotte is committed to making a go of the business.  Emerson, on the other hand, is not so keen on the idea.  But Charlotte is moving ahead and expanding the business.  She is having a new barn constructed to handle additional business.  She even hired a respected horse trainer Gunner Dawson to help with the horses, knowing he was only staying for a short while. 

In her mother’s paperwork, Charlotte found information about her biological father and learned that he may be related to an established family in the community.  How will she verify that information, and when should she make the facts known?  Emerson has been emotionally distant and Charlotte finds herself confiding in Gunner.  He is not only good with horses, but he has become a friend and is a good listener.

The storyline is what made me want to read this book.  I enjoyed reading about the scenery and horses in a beautiful small-town in North Carolina.  I found the story about finding her biological family interesting.  My favorite character was Gunner, who seemed to be a kind, caring, and trustworthy man.  I liked how their relationship grew.  I also liked Charlotte’s biological siblings and their families. 

I struggled with Charlotte a bit.  Her character was very self-focused.  The story seemed to drag for a while.  In the last part of the book, a slew of details was made known.  Those details would have made the story better if introduced earlier in the book.  I would like to have known the back story of Gunner earlier.  Without those background details, his actions did not seem logical or reasonable.  In fact, I was irritated that those details were added so late in the story.

The book was relatively clean.  I would like to have had the characters’ faith more fully developed.

While this was not my favorite Denise Hunter book, there were elements I enjoyed in the story.  If you like a beautiful rural setting, horses, nature, family, friendship, and a little romance, you may want to read Wildflower Falls by Denise Hunter.  This book will be released on September 12, 2023.

I would like to thank Thomas Nelson publishers and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of Wildflower Falls by Denise Hunter.  I was under no obligation to give a favorable review. 

 


No comments:

Mary’s Calico Hope by Anne Blackburne – Likeable Characters, Faith, Friendship and Hope

I was excited to read  Anne Blackburne’s   newest book   Mary’s Calico Hope , the fifth book in   The Heart of the Amish   series.   Mary Yo...