Saturday, June 10, 2006

I’ve Learned…

Through all the stress, uncertainty, silence, and what at times feels like pure living hell, I’ve learned a lot of things. I’ve learned about God, faith, trials, doubts, life, other people and me…just to name a few things.

I’ve learned about whom I want standing with me when it comes down to crunch time.

I’ve learned that there is a time to stand and let God fight your battles. And standing can be the hardest thing of all.

I’ve learned I don’t want to go through this without prayer and the prayer support of others.

I’ve learned I don’t know what to do or how to react to people who are emotionally unavailable.

I’ve learned that hurt can sometimes leave people so damaged that they won’t reach out anymore and stop trying.

I’ve learned that there are times when you finally recognize that people won’t change and won’t step up to the plate…and there is nothing you can say or do to make a difference…and it’s time to walk away.

I’ve learned that arrogance and lack or regard for people will never generate respect.

I’ve learned that first impressions are very important…and it’s hard to dig yourself out of that hole if you are not off to a good start.

I’ve learned the critical importance of having a good name and character…because not only will you stand before man, but will one day stand before God.

I’ve learned that your words don’t matter when they are not backed up with actions…that you need to walk the talk…and not just give it lip service.

I’ve learned just talking about what you are feeling and going through helps. Not dwelling on it without end…but letting it out so you can let it go.

I’ve learned that real men can handle few tears…even when it make them feel real uncomfortable and helpless.

I’ve learned that when you see a need…that it is important for you to do the right thing and help…even when not asked to do so. It’s a reflection of your character…and helps others to know they matter.

I’ve learned of the critical importance of respect…respect for leaders, others, and yourself.

I’ve learned that hard times and difficult times…make you appreciate that which is very precious. That you may not recognize it as such during ordinary days and times.

I’ve learned the importance of giving words encouragement and receiving them too.

I’ve learned I wished I could pick up the phone and call those who have gone before me to heaven. That I desire to hear their words of encouragement or advice on how to handle my tribulations…from Hugo, Neil and Chuck.

I’ve learned that you’d better say words of thanks and I love you today…because you don’t know if you’ll have that opportunity tomorrow.

I’ve learned that there is a right way to treat people…and it’s never right to do the wrong thing. Even if you have the best of intentions.

I’ve learned the importance and difference that feeling love and appreciated can make in your life. And you in turn…must pass that along to others.

I’ve learned that the bigger man is the one that overlooks an offence, mends fences and moves on.

I’ve learned that weak leaders surround themselves with people who won’t challenge them or disagree…because they either fear them or are riding the gravy train.

I’ve leaned that you will fail when you only surround yourself with yes men.

I’ve learned you can walk away with a boat load of money…but still be a failure.

I’ve learned that your failures can greatly and negatively impact others.

I’ve learned that a real man is able will choose not to profit when he fails. But a weak and little man will take the money and run.

I’ve learned that leaders frequently don’t have a good solid moral character that guides them in everyday life.

I’ve learned that if you have to slink away in the dark of night…that probably doesn’t speak too well of you.

I’ve learned that when you cease to have outside accountability and measurement of your success…you will fail.

I’ve learned that you may have a heart as big as all outdoors and promise the world…but when you fail to deliver…your words become vapid.

I’ve learned the importance of reaching out to others and refocus when you are having moments of doubt.

I’ve learned…I’d better be willing to get up when I fall…and try again, again and again.

I’ve learned…I’d better look to God and not man if I want my faith to remain strong.

I’ve learned…and I’m sure God has many more lessons in store…and I’d better have the ears to hear and a heart open and willing to listen.

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...