Saturday, January 03, 2009

Keeper of the Memories


I think this is what it must feel like
To be old
I hold in my hands
Mementos and treasures
To no one but me

Shoe boxes filled with cards
Expressing sentiments and well wishes
From friends and family so long ago
I trace your writing with my finger
Hoping to connect once again

The pictures from old
Of family I never knew
All those who loved you
Have long since passed away
I feel it my obligation to remember

When I see your smile
It causes me to wonder what made you to laugh
You had such serious eyes
What hurt, pain and thoughts
Were burdening your soul

You were a real live person
Who laughed and cried
Who loved and hated
A daughter, sister, wife, mother and someone’s best friend
A son, brother, husband, father and someone’s closest pal

By God’s providence
We are related though we may have never met
I wish I could reach across time
Tell you that I treasure the memory of you
It is with care hold your words and pictures from so long ago

As I hold these treasures from the past
I feel such profound sadness…I want to weep
Through my tears I wonder what will become of my life
What will I do that really matters
Who will remember me


Susan Bunts Wachtel
January 3, 2009



No comments:

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...