Saturday, May 01, 2010

Ruminations on Forgiveness


Have you ever noticed that forgiveness is easier after the fact, after the offense is over? 
 
When an offense is ongoing and repeated it’s much harder to forgive. 
 
It’s easier to forgive someone who has repented, acknowledged they were wrong and apologized.
 
Unforgiveness can be all consuming…it can take over every thought. 
 
Satan uses an offense or a hurt by another person to help us justify holding on to unforgiveness.
 
Unforgiveness NEVER makes me feel better.  I only feel worse as I replay an offense over and over again in my mind.   
 
An offense or hurt grows the more I dwell on it.  It’s like hitting a bruise with a hammer and wondering why it still hurts or feels worse.
 
I want others to understand my motives when I sin against them…but I want to judge others by their actions.
 
There is no freedom in unforgiveness…only bondage.  Bondage to the person who hurt us and bondage to Satan and his will for our life.
 
Wrongdoing from someone we love hurts more than from a stranger.
 
When we are wronged in public…shame, humiliation or embarrassment fuels the fire of unforgiveness.

1 comment:

Imma Hypocrite said...

May I place this quote along with your on a post I wrote yesterday? Again, this 'nails it'!

I want others to understand my motives when I sin against them…but I want to judge others by their actions.

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...