Saturday, January 01, 2011

Where ever you go, there you are


This morning I had a divine appointment but I didn’t know it.  I thought that our kitties were just hungry and waking me up early on New Year’s morning so they could be fed.  Indeed they were hungry…but the Holy Spirit had a message that I needed to read. 

I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or bad thing…but once I’m up…I’m up.  Very seldom can I go back to sleep after I get up.  So after feeding Rudy and Junior, I started a pot of coffee brewing and headed into the office to check the computer.  While my email was updating I looked at one of the websites that I check regularly, Joshua’s blog A Warrior’s Heart

Though Joshua is young, I find that both he and his sister Rachel have maturity that I wish I had when I was their ages.  Rachel also has a blog that I frequent regularly…Hope Journey.  You might be thinking what in the world can a 51 year old woman learn from someone 30 years younger?  Actually quite a lot.  Both Joshua and Rachel share from their heart.  They are well grounded in the Word of God and love God with all their heart, mind, soul and strength.  

Today Joshua posted “Living Radically for Christ Pt. 5”, in which he talks about believers counting the cost of following Christ.  One of those costs is that the moment we become a believer in Jesus Christ, we are engaged in a lifelong battle against a powerful foe who HATES US.  Satan hates God and he hates man who is created in God imagine.  He is a liar, deceiver, destroyer and a murderer. 

We engaged in that battle every day…whether we know it or not.  The enemy goes around like a roaring lion…seeking whom he may devour.  He wants to have you and me for lunch.  Think about a hungry lion prowling around just waiting for the opportunity to devour his prey.  In the Greek the word devour means to “drink down, swallow down, devour, swallow up, and destroy.”  Think about that lion as he tears into the flesh of his victim.  Those powerful jaws clamping down and tearing into the flesh of that living creature and bring about an excruciating, certain death.  It’s probably not a death that comes swiftly.  That’s what Satan, our enemy, wants to do to believers. 

I read God’s word and know that truth.  I believe it and I know it from experience.  Yet how easily I believe the destroyer’s lies. 

Christ won the victory over Satan on the cross.  On the cross, Jesus Christ paid our sin debt in full.  On the cross both sin and death were defeated.  God gave witness to that victory three days later when Jesus Christ rose physically from the dead.  Praise God…that He has given us His Word.  In the Bible, God tells us how we can be strong in the Lord and the strength of His might.  How we can put on the full armor of God. 

Recently, God reprimanded me saying, “Susan, walk as you pray.” 

One of my daily prayers is that I will take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.  That will put on the full armor of God: the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, that my feet will be shod with the gospel of peace, that I will put on the helmet of salvation, take up the shield of faith, wield the Sword of the Spirit and be praying always. 

Though it’s a New Year…it’s the same me that was there yesterday.  One, who when I walk in my own wisdom and strength, I so easily fall prey to the enemy.  No matter where I go, there I am.

I do believe that I need to be mindful how weak I am in my own strength and wisdom.  Instead I need to submit myself to God, resist the devil so that he will flee from me. 

Thank You Lord for the reminder that it’s a daily battle that’s fought minute by minute…and I can’t afford to be lazy.  The cost is too great.  Thank you Joshua for speaking the truth from God’s Word.

Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. – James 4:7

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— Ephesians 6:10-18

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...