Saturday, May 12, 2012

Five Minute Friday – Identity Found


When I think how I would describe myself to someone, the first word that comes to mind is Christian.  Before I even think of myself as a woman, wife, daughter, sister and friend…I think of myself as a Christian.

My identity as a Christian impacts all the other roles and relationships that I have. 

Yesterday, as was I was driving home from work I was listening to a pastor talking about being a Christian.  He said the more we love the Lord and know Him through God’s Word and through prayer, the more we hate sin.  We see sin more from God’s perspective.  We know how destructive it is, not just in this life, but for eternity. 

I think that the devil likes to lull believers into complacency in our culture.  We end up blending in by watching the same movie, TV shows, reading the same books and listening to the same music, which is often profane.  Yet…we fail to see it because we are immersed in our culture.  Before long we start living like the world does and compromising our faith because of what we are filling our minds with.  The name I given it is “Lotish Christians”.  

Lord, may I be immersed in Your Word, draw me close to You through prayer and may I not forsake the fellowship of other believers.  May my identity in Christ triumph everything else. 

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. – Romans 12:1-2



This post is linked with The Gypsy Mama’s Five Minute Friday challenge.  I encourage you to go on over and read some of the wonderful posts from others who join in.  You will be encouraged. 

4 comments:

Sara H said...

"I think that the devil likes to lull believers into complacency in our culture." This is so true. Too often I find myself turning a blind eye to something simply because I have been incorporating more of the world's thinking than God's.

Anonymous said...

"May my identity in Christ triumph everything else." ~ Amen!

Julie on an adventure said...

I love this post. Stopping by from Five Minute Friday. Complacency can be so destructive, sometimes more so than what we would consider other deadly sins. I love how you talk about hating sin and fighting it with not conforming to this world but as the verse in Romans says, being transformed by the renewing of our minds. Thanks for this!

susanwalkergirl said...

Dear Julie, Stacy and Sara...my sisters in Christ

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

I think we have to be actively engaged in fighting against being conformed to this world.

I find that I'm weak in fighting the spiritual battle when I'm not in God's word each day.

May we not grow weary but live each day with eternity in our heart and mind, longing to hear those words, "Well done good and faithful servant."

Many blessings in Christ...Susan

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...