Monday, June 10, 2013

Five Minute Friday - Soon Fall Away



From the dawn of a new day
Until the midnight hour
It seems as if I’m in a race


Non-stop
Fast paced
Going, going, going


The shot has been fired
A new day has begun
No time to rest


Oh Lord, I am so weary
More than fatigue
From a restless night’s sleep


It’s a weariness of my mind
Precious little time to think
Meditate on You and Your Word


Instead my day is filled
With things that are perishing
Worthless things of no eternal value


Thoughts, time and attention
On that which will soon fall away
Like chaff blown away in the wind


Lord, help me to desire You above all things
Pursue You diligently
Through the study of Your Word and prayer


May love for You consume me
Fill me with Your Holy Spirit
Give me the mind of Christ


By Susan Wachtel
June 8, 2013


Okay…I confess I took longer than five minutes…but I needed to reflect on what the last few months have been like.  I start each day with reading God’s Word, a devotional and writing in a journal.  I end the day reading the Bible.  I’m in prayer each day and listen to solid Bible teachers in my car and as time permits on my I-pod.  But I must say…even with that, it’s not enough.  The non-stop, fast pace has left me weary.  Thankfully not weariness of my soul…but of my mind and body.  

I’m looking forward to an upcoming vacation.  Where I can rest and draw near to the Lord.  Spend time with and enjoy the gift He has given me in my husband Chris.  

I’m asking for the Lord to show me how to have a balance.  To be a dedicated worker, with quality work, a good attitude and be caring about the people I see each day…but somehow, slow down and spend more time with the Lord.  Write down the things I am thankful for, the verses that jump off the page when I’m reading, the encouragement and conviction of the Holy Spirit and to meditate on the Lord.  

I want to be able to take the time to read more Christian bloggers, the words of precious men and women who love the Lord Jesus and share from their heart, encourage, exhort and challenge their readers.  

I want to be consumed by the Lord, with an unquenchable desire, hunger and thirst for His word and to know Him more and just spend time with Him and reflect on my awesome God.  

How about you precious friend…do you too need more time with the Lord?
It’s another Saturday morn and I wanted to participate in Lisa-Jo Baker’s Five Minute Fridaywriting challenge.  Head over to her website “Lisa Jo Baker Tales from a Gypsy Mama”.  Be sure to read some of the entries from other writers.  I can promise you that you will be blessed.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Seems there is never enough time, Susan...I agree. There are too many days that I squander time away that should have been devoted to God. I look forward to slowing down and giving more time to Him!

Lovely poem my friend,
Blessings!
Denise

Denise said...

Enjoyed this.

Fatal Witness by Patricia Bradley – Interesting Plot, But the Story Got Bogged Down

  I enjoy suspense and mystery novels and was excited to read Patricia Bradley’s newest book Fatal Witness , the second book in the Pearl R...