Saturday, June 04, 2022

The Sugarcreek Surprise by Wanda E Brunstetter – A Lovely Book with Likable Characters

Wanda E Brunstetter has become one of my favorite writers and I was excited to read her newest book The Sugarcreek Surprise, the second book in the Creektown Discovery series

 

The Sugarcreek Surprise tells the story of Lisa Miller the only survivor of a tragic car accident.  She lost her parents and paternal grandparents at seven years old and has very few memories before the accident.  Lisa went to live in Ohio with her maternal grandparents.  She works as a school teacher with the young children at their Amish community’s schoolhouse.  Lisa lives a very insulated life, has very few friends, and has no desire to get married or have children.  Truth be told, Lisa is trying to protect her heart from the pain of losing someone else she loves.  Her life is about to be changed by a persistent dog Maggie and a newcomer Paul Herschberger from Pennsylvania. 

 

This book is about relationships.  Lisa’s relationship with her grandparents, her dog Maggie and her developing friendship with Paul.  Orley and Lois Troyer, from the Walnut Creek Wish, are back and befriend Paul and in turn his friend Lisa.  Orley and Lois are my favorite characters.  They are continually looking for people whom God would have them befriend.  They are mentors, prayer warriors and give wise biblical counsel.  


I liked Paul and appreciated his kind, caring, gentle, and hardworking character.  At times I struggled with Lisa and her negativity or not being open to others.  But I appreciated seeing how her grandparents and Paul responded to her.  They prayed for Lisa, gave her time and trusted the Lord to be at work in her life.

 

I appreciate the Christian faith being included as part of the characters’ lives, in the form of Scripture verses, sermons, and prayers.  The Sugarcreek Surprise is not action-packed, instead, it goes deeper into people’s lives, relationships, and what motivates them.  I love that this book is clean and shows good and healthy relationships.  The characters deal with honesty, forgiveness, growth, and how to trust God and obey Him. 

 

I loved reading The Sugarcreek Surprise by Wanda E Brunstetter and highly recommend it.  It was a lovely book, filled with likable characters, the kind of people you would want to know.  Wanda E Brunstetter is the kind of writer that makes me want to read all her books.

 

I would like to thank Barbour Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of The Sugarcreek Surprise by Wanda E Brunstetter.  I was under no obligation to give a favorable review. 

 





No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...