Saturday, October 28, 2023

Shadows at Dusk by Elizabeth Goddard – Not Believable, Convoluted, and Stretched the Imagination


 

Shadows at Dusk is Elizabeth’s Goddard newest book.  I have read several of her books and looked forward to reading her latest mystery.

 

Shadows at Dusk tells the story of Detective Trevor West who is searching in Alaska for his sister Jennifer Warren who disappeared over a year ago.  Trevor is a former US Marshal and knows how to track people.  But will he be able to solve the case that is most important to him?  He enlists the help of Alaskan bush pilot Carrie James to help him follow Jennifer’s trail.  Reluctantly, Carrie agrees to help him.  Not long into their journey it appears that someone does not want them to continue their search and will do whatever it takes to stop them.  But who exactly is the target?  Is it Trevor or is it Carrie? 

 

Let me start with the things I liked about this book.  I enjoyed learning about beauty of this vast, remote, and treacherous terrain.  I liked the character Trevor, he seemed like caring, determined, and faithful friend.  I liked Rip who was willing to help them on their mission, even at great risk to himself. 

 

I struggled greatly with this book for several reasons.  I hate it when characters do something stupid and illogical that puts them at risk and in danger.  Both Trevor and Carrie did that repeatedly throughout this story.  At times even acknowledging that they made a bad decision or calculation.  But they never seemed to learn from their mistakes.  Things like not making copies or photographs of key pieces of evidence.  Not giving that evidence to the police.

 

The storyline did not seem plausible.  From the bad guy behind it all and those who were helping him try to stop Trevor and Carrie.  It appears that someone from Carrie’s past might also be targeting Trevor.  Speaking of Carrie, I did not like or connect with her character.  This story stretched the imagination, not in a good way.  The story was not believable.  Because the characters continued to make unwise and illogical decisions, over and over again, I stopped caring about them.  I did not understand why a trained law enforcement officer would make some of the irrational decisions he did. 

 

There was very little about God or faith mentioned in the book.

 

From my perspective, I did not like Shadows at Dusk by Elizabeth Goddard.  The storyline was not believable.  Characters made illogical decisions that put them at risk throughout the story.  The story drug on and on.  It was too complicated and convoluted. 

 

I have read other stories by Elizabeth Goddard and enjoyed them and would like to read more in the future.  But Shadows at Dusk missed the mark and I would not recommend it. 

 

I would like to thank Revell Publishers and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of Shadows at Dusk by Elizabeth Goddard.  I was under no obligations to give a favorable review. 

 

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...