Friday, October 14, 2005

Conflicted


Almost two weeks ago...as conservatives waited with baited breath...President Bush announced his nomination of White House Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court. Both conservatives and liberals alike uttered a collective, "uhhhh".

In conservative circles...it didn't take long for that "uhhhh" to change to "you've got to be kidding me". With some very strong candidates such as Janice Rogers Brown, Pricilla Owen, Edith Jones and Michael Luttig as contenders I joined the throngs in crying "foul".

After all, this moment is why I had so passionately wanted President Bush re-elected. It was our chance to get a strong constitutional conservative with a proven track record on the Supreme Court. Not that I wanted a fight with the Dems...but by golly...I was ready to draw the line in the sand and say "no farther".

Especially after the earlier performance from "gang of 14", specifically seven of those members, sidestepping a showdown over the filibuster rule. Now we had the chance to go back and do what they lacked the courage to do.

When the Dems stop the advice and consent process with a filibuster...we would then have the chance to go nuclear. Bring an end, once and for all, to this obnoxious, extreme tactic that halts the legislative process rather than presenting a well reason argument. Yeah...I wanted that.

But more than wanting a fight...I wanted a constitutional conservative taking the bench. One whose judicial rulings bear witness to the philosophy that judges don't make law, but interpret the law. A person who does not let their personal beliefs about sensitive subjects influence their rulings. But instead compares or holds up a case against the laws and the constitution...and makes their decision based against a fixed standard. One that doesn't read rights into the Constitution that are not specifically addressed therein.

That's what I wanted. Did we get that with the nomination of Harriet Miers? I don't know?

President Bush seems to think so. So I'm left struggling and conflicted. President George Bush has a track record of making some great appointments. You can't ask for better than Condoleezza Rice, Dick Cheney, John Ashcroft, Donald Rumsfeld...and even the more liberal Colin Powell. Just recently...he made an excellent choice with John Roberts.

But in the recent past...President Bush has also had some missteps too. Front and center is his slow response and initial poor handling of Hurricane Katrina. Boarder control...he gets a "D"...and that's grading on the curve. He's been solid behind tax cuts...but our government is spending money like an uncontrolled drunken sailor. I also need to mention the administration's lack of ability to clearly communicate why taking the battle to the terrorists, on their territory in Iraq, is actually a good thing.

So President Bush...you have some what of a mixed report card. Yet you say "trust me".

I've got to tell you...Hugh Hewitt has been a huge irritation following the Mier's nomination. Even while saying she wasn't his first, second or even third choice...he was standing behind this nomination. He's continued to highlight reasons why we can trust the President with this nomination and in fact Harriet Miers is a good choice. Every time I've listened to Hugh in the last week an a half...I bristled.

But today...I did hear something that made me pause. He commented that perhaps President Bush is calculating that he doesn't have the political capital and support even from his own party to push through a more controversial nominee. Case in point...our good old "gang of 14". Also something to consider is Congressman Tom Delay's legal entanglements...taking away some key support in the House.

So a controversial, conservative nominee would be an uphill battle...one that President Bush may feel we can not win. In part because of some weak willed and wafflely Senators and Congressmen. I do believe that some of the fight has gone out of our dear President. I wish it hadn't...but here we are left with Harriet Miers.

President Bush...you've asked us to trust you. Like realistic, strong and visionary President Ronald Reagan...I say, "Trust, but verify.”

What does that mean to me? That means...I'll restrain undue criticism for now...and see how Miss Miers does during the upcoming hearings. I'll wait and see...I'll give her a chance.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Politics...I'm not touching on this.My husband on the other hand might.God Bless You.

Robert said...

It may be true that the President, even with 55 Republicans in the Senate could not get a true conservative through confirmation. But we'll never know because he didn't try. And to make matters worse, part of the reason he can't count on the "wobblies" is that he campaigned for Specter against a conservative in the primary. Now people like Hugh would say that's a good thing, because Toomey couldn't win (although again, we don't know because we didn't try). But regardless, Bush's action emboldened the liberal Republicans to go their own way. If there are no consequences for crossing the party and the leadership, why not?

susanwalkergirl said...

Bonnie and Robert...thanks for your comments and taking the time to read this post.

Bonnie...jump in girl. You may not know all the specifics when it comes to politics...but I bet you have an opinion or feel one way or the other.

Thanks folks....keep on blogging and keep up the good work on you sites.

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...