Thursday, October 13, 2005

Wise as Serpents, Innocent as Doves

In Matthew 10:16...God counsels us that we are to be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

In the last few weeks...really going back to early September...there has been a plethora of news stories that have captured my attention. They've made my blood boil...and I'm just trying to sort through all my thoughts to put a coherent piece together. Of recent note are the Harriet Miers nomination for the Supreme Court, the intentional and purposeful twisting and misrepresentation of Bill Bennett's comments and critics of the federal government's slow response to Katrina victims being attributed to racism.

The more I tried to sort through the events, my observations and opinions...I find it more difficult and even a bit depressing. I feel as if I'm living in an upside down world...where anything resembling truth or common sense was thrown out the window. I do plan to put my fingers to the keyboard and write on these issues...but want to take the time so I will have clarity of thought...and a balanced perspective.

But I feel compelled to comment today about Dr. James Dobson with regards to the Harriet Miers nomination. Like the verse noted above...we as Christians are admonished to be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. My dear Dr. Dobson...I have no doubt that you are innocent as a dove with good intentions. But by golly you surely did not exercise wisdom by inserting your comments about Harriet Miers into the debate and disclosing the fact that you had been speaking with White House officials...namely Karl Rove.

Dr. Dobson...you have been dealing with the media for so long now. And all too frequently you are the subject of criticism by folks in the main stream media whom do not share our values. With that prior personal experience why in the world did you hint at the fact that you had inside information or assurances from "White House Sources"? I don't get it.

First of all Karl Rove...what do you think you are doing? Haven't you give enough testimony recently that calls into question you possibly leaking confidential information to outside sources? Yet here you go again Karl. Not a really bright move.

Dr. Dobson...you've compounded it...by speaking out like you did. Initially hinting that you had information that lead you to believe that the Miers nomination would be a good thing. Then today...you went into more detail. Golly...what were you thinking. In the first place I call into question you getting that information from Karl Rove...if nothing else it wasn't prudent. Secondly...you should have taken the information...and encouraged your listeners to be calm, let Miss Miers go through the hearing process before making up their mind. That would have been a balanced response...but not betrayed the fact that maybe you were given info you shouldn't have been told.

In the interest of full disclosure I must say...I disagree with the Miers nomination. I'm breaking ranks with many of my fellow conservatives.
Hugh Hewitt has been trying to bring out the merit and benefits of the Harriet Miers nomination. Despite some arguments...some of which I can even agree with to some degree...I still feel that this an extremely poor and unwise choice by President Bush. But I'll get into more about that another time.

I feel like I'm in he middle of a bunch of lemmings (made up of fellow conservatives and fellow Christians) that are jumping off the proverbial cliff only to meet their demise.

Folks...a little common sense goes a long way. And right now you are about as far away from it as you can get. Please...I beg of you please be quite...and stop running head long down a road that may be very destructive.

Now would be a really good time...to exercise some wisdom and discernment. Give it a try...fellow conservatives need you...and so do the libs...but they're just not smart enough to realize it. Bottom line...knock it off!

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...