Monday, January 08, 2007

1/7/07 At the End of the Day…Lesson Learned

Sometime ago I had received an e-mail from a woman…a fellow Christian writer/blogger with some godly counsel regarding a link I had on my website. In her e-mail she expressed concern that I had a link to Joyce Meyer's website and advised me that I might want to re-evaluate that decision since at times Joyce’s teaching has leaned on the side of the word faith movement.

Since I’m relatively well grounded in my study of the Bible (through Bible Study Fellowship and great Bible teaching from Chuck Obremski, Charles Stanley, Chuck Smith, David Hocking, etc.), I felt convicted to some degree and made the decision to remove the link. After all I didn’t want to lead astray anyone, young in their Christian faith, who may not be very discerning or rooted and grounded in Biblical doctrine.

Probably about that time…I thought to myself, “Gee wiz…perhaps I ought not to be listening to Joyce either.” Time went on…before I knew it my scheduled had changed and I was not able to listen to Joyce’s program while I got ready for work in the morning. But I kind of had that nagging feeling that in fact I did miss listening to Joyce Meyer's program. Not because it made me feel good…or promised me much prosperity…but because Joyce’s teaching helped me to walk a better, everyday Christian walk. She offers some very practical advice on how to walk the Christian walk…even when it’s uncomfortable to do so.

Somewhere along the line…I discovered a post at Debra’s website As I See It Now in which she talked about being less concerned with what others thought was an acceptable or okay ministry and what wasn’t. She said that God is even able to use ministries whose doctrine may vary a bit. Debra never mentioned any names…so I’m not certain whom she was referring to. But after reading that…I felt convicted again…and the thought kept nagging at me. Perhaps I was being a hypocrite to so quickly jettison a ministry…a good Christian ministry that had help me to grow in my Christian walk…just because I had received some criticism. Criticism that was well meaning and even accurate in its concern on Biblical grounds.

One of the joys of having an I-Pod is subscribing to various podcasts…from political or secular shows to ministries. I love it…and it’s a wonderful way to keep informed, built up in the Word of God and educated. Recently…I subscribed to the Joyce Meyer radio show…and started listening to Joyce once again.

I’ve got to tell you…that there is something in that woman’s teaching which genuinely helps me to be a better Christian. In the practical, everyday walk of life…when I’m listening to Joyce Meyer’s program…I’m a better Christian. One, who trusts God more, is more willing to submit God and His plan in my life, to treat others better…even those who might not deserve it.

So at the end of the day…I can see plainly that I’m better for having listened to Joyce Meyer's teaching.

Now for those Christians who are young in their faith I would counsel you to examine all Bible teachers’ messages against what the Bible says.

“Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.” – Acts 17:11



No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...