Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Hawk



As I walked out the door
I heard a the flutter of many wings
Birds flying this way and that, trying to escape

It seemed as though all were gone
Yet I still heard frantic flapping in the tree
Suddenly he appeared

A hawk swept down from the branches
His prey held firmly in his grasp
A helpless dove, wings beating their last flap

I was sickened by the sight
Suddenly the hawk took flight with the lifeless bird
The only evidence, feathers along the path


Susan Wachtel
June 24, 2012


2 comments:

Denise said...

How sad to witness a helpless and beautiful creature being carried away; your writing made this very real to life for the reader!

Have a week full of joyful blessings Susan!
Denise

susanwalkergirl said...

Denise,

It was horrifying. If I thought that I could have saved that poor dove, I would have acted like a crazy woman and chased the hawk away.

We love feeding our backyard birds. They are a joy to see every day.

Hope that you have a blessed week in the Lord.

In Christ...Susan

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...