He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. - Colossians 1:15-16

Thursday, June 07, 2012

Taming the Tongue

While taking my morning walk I usually listen to various podcasts.  Yesterday and today, I've been listening to recent programs from Grace to You called"Taming the Tongue".  During the program, Pastor John MacArthur read a list of descriptions from the Bible about the tongue:


"Scriptures refer to the disaster of the mouth.  The Bible refers directly or indirectly to:

a wicked tongue,
a deceitful tongue,
a lying tongue,
a perverse tongue,
a filthy tongue,
a corrupt tongue,
a bitter tongue,
an angry tongue,
a crafty tongue,
a flattering tongue,
a slanderous tongue,
a gossiping tongue,
a back-biting tongue,
a blaspheming tongue,
a foolish tongue,
a boasting tongue,
a murmuring tongue,
a complaining tongue,
a cursing tongue,
a contentious tongue,
a sensual tongue,
a vile tongue,
a tale-bearing tongue,
a whispering tongue,
an exaggerating tongue, etc.

Did you see yourself anywhere in there?  No wonder God put your tongue in a cage behind your teeth, walled in by your mouth."

I'd like to say, none of those descriptions fit me, but if I said that I would have a lying tongue.  

Thank You Lord for Your Word which encourages, corrects and convicts.  Lord...help me to have a repentant heart in areas that I have sinned against You.  May even the thoughts and intentions of my heart be good and pleasing to You. 

2 comments:

Denise said...

It is difficult to tame a tongue and deliver words fitly spoken and seasoned with grace at times! But the more we meditate on His Word, the easier it becomes! :)

Blessings and hugs Susan!
Denise

Wanda said...

Oh I'm with you Susan, unfortunately I see myself in a few of those descriptive. Grateful that He has not left us without resources to help us in taming the tongue--the Holy Spirit.