Wednesday, February 01, 2006

But Then There Is Today


Did you ever hear a sermon or lecture…and something that the Pastor or teacher says really touches you. Below is an excerpt from sermon called Desperation to Dependence.

Letter from an unknown pastor to his congregation about a month after he had been diagnosed with cancer, terminal, inoperable and that would not respond to any treatments. He wrote it about a month after processing and digesting what God was trying to teach him.

My dear Christian friends, it has taken me 51 years of living and 33 years of Christian life to learn the real meaning of Jesus’ words in the Sermon on the Mount, “Don’t worry about tomorrow.” I have been a very ambitious man and I have abhorred the mediocre. Always within me has been the desire to excel. And living this way I’ve been impatient, anxious, inattentive and often unkind. My goals have been long distance and compulsive. In consequence I have given less than my best to the person in front of me because I was always thinking way ahead to the plans and goals beyond.

Now all that is different. My anxieties are gone. I have no idea how long I shall live, but then there is today. Each day is meaning more to me than ever before. Each person I meet can have all there is of me for those moments that we are together. I may not get as much done from here on out. But life is far more peaceful. I have at last come to accept these words of Jesus as being just for me. “Do not be anxious about your life. Do not be anxious for tomorrow. For each day has enough trouble of its own.”

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...