Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Living Grace


We all sing about grace, talk about it, and have heard sermons on it and even done Bible studies on grace. Many of us have heard the definition of grace as God extending unmerited favor towards us. While accurate and giving a multifaceted look at grace...I have found these to be wholly inadequate to understanding grace and experiencing it.

The place where I've found grace...is in the things that I probably wouldn't have signed up for. Things like my mom having Alzheimer’s...and dealing with all the "stuff" that surrounds it. Or still being single at the age of 46...enduring the loss of loved ones...or going through times when friends and family are scarce. But it's been precisely those times when God has revealed to me and supplied me with a living grace.

Sometimes that grace is in the form of a growing wisdom and understanding that comes from experiences, making mistakes and learning. Sometimes is comes in seeing God's grace lived out in the lives of people before you...such as my beloved Pastor Chuck and his wife Linda. Sometimes it comes from seeing fear of death evaporate in a man drawing close to his Lord and Savior, as with my friend Hugo when he faced a seemly early death... (early from human perspective). Sometimes it comes when reflecting upon the death of a friend like Neil...and seeing the blessings of that person with new eyes. And vowing not to take for granted those currently in your life...and not wanting to miss anymore opportunities.

Sometime God presents those grace opportunities to you when he allows you to offer a kind word or dead to a hurting person. And God in turn pours out His grace to you...through the people and experiences he brings into your life. It may be a timely word of encouragement when you are discouraged and just plain having a bad day. Sometimes it's a song on the radio that lifts your spirits...and stays with you throughout the day. It may be a Bible verse that you read...that you see with new eyes and an open heart.

Anyway...while I wouldn't have signed up for these experiences they have taught me, shown me and proven to me God's living grace...I am ever so grateful to have it. And frankly...I wouldn't trade who and what I am now...and what I've learned...to be a little less bruised by life. Now don't get me wrong...there is not a day that goes by in which I don't pray for God to move his hand and remove or change these situations which have burdened my heart and soul.

But...in the midst I have found a living grace. A grace from God...that is more than adequate for all that I encounter.

Before I conclude...I must challenge myself and any readers...to make sure that we don't miss those opportunities that God will lay before us...to extend God's living grace to others we encounter. A living grace that helps us to bear the stormy seas that want to swamp and ultimately sink our tiny boat called life.

No comments:

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...