Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Time Flies...

Today marks my 21st anniversary working at Sav-on Drugs.

In some respects it's made bittersweet by the sad news of the death my friend and former boss, Neil Parker. Neil was very influential in my career...and I owe him much more than I can say.

While I've held a number of positions over the years...I remember quite clearly how I got my first job with the company. I had been working for a number of years at a local department store called Wineman's. That day we had just gotten news that another company, the Boston Store, was buying us out. I had just been interviewed and was offered a job as a supervisor with the new company.

While at work that same day, I received a call from my friend Kathy. For some time I had been applying at Sav-on Drugs trying to get a job as a bookkeeper. This would prove to be my lucky day. Kathy was calling to tell me if I went to the Sav-on in the same shopping center I would be interviewed for a bookkeeper position.

Well lickety split...I was down at Sav-on for my interview...and thank you Lord...I was given the job. I was to start work at Sav-on #69 in Fullerton, CA. The store has since closed and been relocated.

I was trained by a terrific bookkeeper, Gayle. She had high standards and communicated things clearly. She got me off to a good start. I loved my job as a bookkeeper. Now I probably shouldn't say this...but in school...math was always my weak point. But when I became a bookkeeper...suddenly math clicked and I understood it. It made sense. I worked as a bookkeeper for 4 years.

During that time...I ended up working at a temporary outlet store in addition to my own store. It was wild there...a whirlwind...even now it boggles my mind. This is where I ended up meeting Neil Parker. He was the Loss Prevention Manager for that area. And trust me...Neil made frequent visits to that store...just to try and keep things in line. That was where I was bit by the Loss Prevention bug...and have been sold ever since.

I continued to be a bookkeeper for about another year...but finally worked up the courage to ask Neil for a job in LP. I was interviewed for the job...and back then had to take a polygraph test...which thankfully, I passed.

I started out my LP career as an LP Agent catching shoplifters. While not wretched at it...I would catch them...but it scared the heck out of me. In fact sometimes I would even start shaking when I'd see someone shoplifting because I knew I have to stop them. While they may have been thieves...fortunately...most were not violent. There were a couple of scary times...but God had His hand of protection upon me. I only worked an agent for about a year...one very long year.

Next...I was an "office coordinator". Along with another lady at work...we were the first to start that position. It was very interesting...and allowed me to approach LP from a paperwork and research standpoint. Suited my abilities much better.

Not sure I remember how long I was an office coordinator. But next I was the supervisor for the in house collections department. That was a different story altogether. What I did like about that job was having the ability to help customers...if they were a victim of a crime and their checkbook had been stolen...or even if they just had some bad times. But I'll tell you...those collection agencies that we had to deal with made my blood boil. I keep thinking that someone would be hailed as a genius if they came up with the idea of doing collection on bad debt with the key motivation to keep those good, long term customers and not alienate them.

Another bright spot of that job was a wonderful, beautiful woman name Marion. Marion was such woman of character. She was a single mom...and had a wonderful son Jonathan. Marion was such a hard worker...did quality work...and she really truly cared. She cared about the people she worked with and our customers. She'd knocked herself out to help someone. I knew if I wanted the job done right...Marion was the person to have work along side me. Marion died from ovarian cancer...and her loss was very painful...but she left a lasting impression. I will always remember her.

The department was closed when they consolidated everything in our Franklin Park office. Disappointed and scared described me then. But God had His hand upon me. I felt that he impressed upon me the scripture verse, "My grace is sufficient for you." I clung to that verse and listened to inspirational tapes daily, during that time. And God brought me through.

He laid a burden upon the heart of Peter Bartholomew. Peter took pity on me...and offered me the job of secretary for the Loss Prevention department as his then secretary had recently quit. Now keep in mind...I didn't even know how to turn on a PC/computer. I had worked on a Wang...which was quite a bit different. You'll understand how precious this man is when you know that after hiring me...he asked, "Do you know how to type?". God bless that man.

Peter gave me the classes I needed to get up to speed on the computer...and eventually unleashed the monster that loves the computer...and now blogs daily. I thank God and I thank Peter for my job. I love it...and I love the people I work with. I love the challenge of my job. I love the fact that I've been given freedom to grow and develop in my job...and that I'm able to give input.

I work with a group on people directly in my department that ranges from about 20 to 30 people. Additionally there are many others in our stores. And of course there is a lot of interaction with other departments...so to say I'm never board is an understatement. I love my job! (Just between you and me...there are times they make me a wee bit crazy too.)

I've had some terrific bosses in LP over the years...Peter Bartholomew, Terry Sullivan, Len Thielen, Louis Escarcega, Robert Wiltfang and my current boss Doug Kuripla. They are each tremendous people...and I consider it a privilege to have worked with them. Peter always used the phrase, "Simply the Best"...and by golly these folks really are.

Do I have a favorite...out of all these people? You bet ya I do...I wouldn't tell to save my life. But kind of like a mom...while she may have one child that she really connects with...she loves each child in their own special way. There is something special about each one.

So on this 21st anniversary...I thank God for my job...and for the people with whom I've worked for low these many years. Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Sandcastle Inn by Irene Hannon – Scenic Beachside Town and Likeable Characters

  Sandcastle Inn is Irene Hannon’s tenth novel in the Hope Harbor series .   It was lovely to return to this beautiful, scenic, and welcom...