Friday, August 26, 2005

Pat...What were you thinking?

You know...it's been a really long week...and I'm tired. But before the week is up I feel compelled to speak out against Pat Robertson's comments on Venezuelan President, Hugo Chavez.

One of my biggest criticism of Muslims is that they remain silent when fellow Muslims commit evil acts of terror in the name of their god. I want to make sure that I don't turn a blind eye or act complacent when a fellow Christian errs...especially so publicly.

So Pat...let's take a look at what you said: "We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," Robertson said Monday on his Christian Broadcasting Network. "We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

What you said was patently wrong...from beginning to end. So where do I start? Well first and foremost what you said brings reproach on the name of Christ. To have a Christian advocating the assassination of a leader goes against the very Book that you believe in and hold dearly.

May I remind you that in
1 Samuel 24, that David purposely decided that he would not kill King Saul even when presented with an easy opportunity to do so. This after numerous attempts by Saul to kill David. Saul hated him and wanted him dead. Yet David took the higher road and trusted God and His timing and plan to remove Saul from power.

1 Samuel 24:10 "This day you have seen with your own eyes how the LORD delivered you into my hands in the cave. Some urged me to kill you, but I spared you; I said, 'I will not lift my hand against my master, because he is the LORD's anointed."

Vs. 12 & 13 - "May the LORD judge between you and me. And may the LORD avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you. 13 As the old saying goes, 'From evildoers come evil deeds,' so my hand will not touch you."

Pat, that is quite different from your comments. A Christian should never be a tool or instrument to bring harm or evil upon another.

Your comments brought reproach upon fellow Christians. In a world that already hates us or is suspicious of Christians and believes that we are filled with hate and intolerant...you just confirmed their suspicions.

Tell me...do you think it more likely that unbelievers will be attracted to Jesus or less likely after hearing your comments?

You are giving unbelievers, who are already dead in their sins, a reason to remain there...since they have seen a very ugly side of a Christian. Trust me...Satan will use this to keep more people from coming to a saving faith in Christ.

Your comments brought reproach upon our beloved country, the United States of America and our President. President Chavez was already paranoid and thought that the US was out to get him...and now he has it from the lips of a famous American whose voice is heard around the world. Just lovely!

By the way...we tired this back in 1961...it was a dismal failure. You might have heard of it...it was called the Bay of Pigs. When someone thought it would be a peachy keen idea to take Castro out of the game. Bottom line...it didn't work. It was a big fat failure and brought much embarrassment to the US.

Pat...no matter which way you examine your statement it was wrong and hurt in ways you can't begin to count. So what is a Christian leader to do when they see evil and a power hungry leader inching his way towards totalitarianism? You are to speak out and speak the truth and tell of what he is doing and why it's wrong. Inspire and encourage those who have the will to oppose him, his own people, to rise up and regain power. Not through assassination or murder but by ousting him...and putting someone his place that will uphold the rights and freedom it's citizens.

Your comments have brought to light the fact that there is opposition to Hugo Chavez. Your inappropriate comments may in fact have effectively killed or put on hold a successful deposing of this man. So in the end...you comments back fired and caused harm, not good. Let me leave you with this verses from
Titus 3:8:

"This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone. "

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...