Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Neil Parker...Thanks for believing in me!

On the eve of your funeral Neil...I wanted to say goodbye.

I do so with deep sadness...and almost disbelief that you aren't here anymore. While your phone calls in recent years were not frequent...I treasured them...and it was always a treat to hear from you. I looked forward to your Christmas letter and note...filling me in on what happened to you in the year gone by.

Not sure that I can put into words...how much I loved you and what you meant to me.

I don't remember the exact day I met you. Not sure if it was when you came in to audit the store I worked in as bookkeeper? Or maybe it was to investigate some cash variance or other area of concern? But I do remember when you really made an impression on me. It was when I worked at the Outlet store. That store was something else. There was always an issue at hand that had you in the store almost daily conducting a Loss Prevention investigation. When you needed information or help on the bookkeeping end...you asked me for some help.

That's when the Loss Prevention bug bit this girl. I loved it from the get go...and it changed my life. I continued on with bookkeeping for about another year or so...and then got up the courage to call you and ask for an LP job. You were game...and I was interviewed for the job of Loss Prevention Agent. After the interview...which I think took place at McDonald's...I had a polygraph. I was nervous...but passed and was given an LP job.

I trained as an Agent in the Hollywood store. Oh my gosh...that sure was a different place. Glad it wasn't a permanent location for me. I worked in multiple locations...and you were my boss. While I didn't do a terrible job at catching shoplifters...it sure wasn't my strong suit. But you were patient with me...and about a year later...moved forward with the idea of a Loss Prevention Office Coordinator. It was a new position that was being created and defined at that time. So I joined Eva in that role. She had LA North...and I had LA West which was in your area.

What fun we had. It was something brand new...and we figured it out as we went along. I loved our travels to different stores...and digging in to the reports and finding out what was going on. Each day had something new and challenging. We did some good stuff Neil...and had some fun along the way.

I loved hearing your tales...whether from your LA PD days...or interesting investigations that you had handled over the years. The love and passion you had came through when you talked about those times.

Things changed and we moved on...you worked in a different area and I changed jobs. For a while...we didn't talk a lot...things were a bit bumpy. But fortunately...that changed too. Now all these years later...I'd be hard pressed to remember what caused our falling out. It didn't last...and you were gracious...and our friendship resumed.

All too soon you were announcing your retirement. It seemed unreal...after all you had been the backbone, heart and soul of our department. How in the world would we get along without Neil Parker. But the time was right for you and your family to make that move.

You didn't stay retired for long. You ended up back in law enforcement...working at the federal court houses. I'd hear from folks now again about seeing you at the court house when they were on jury duty or responding to a subpoena.

I was most blessed that you did keep in touch. A phone call every now and then keeping me up to date on what was going on in your life. I think we even squeezed in lunch, now and again.

Neil...you believed in me and gave me a chance. You believed in me when no one else did. I thank you from the depths of my heart.


You made a difference in my life...a difference for good. You were giving, encouraging, gracious and forgiving. You unabashedly spoke of your faith in your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Neil...I love and I miss you. I know with absolute confidence that you are in heaven with your Savior. You have entered into your rest...and have heard those much prized word, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

I know that when I die I will join you...and I look forward to that day. I will see my Savior Jesus Christ face to face...and join those who proceeded me to heaven.

So while I am sad and will miss you...I look forward to our reunion one day. What a lovely day that will be. Neil...say "Hi!" to Hugo for me...and I'll catch you on the flip side. See you kid!

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...