Thursday, September 22, 2005

Don't Drop the Baton


In some respects I feel like I'm emerging from a fog that I've been in for some time. For over two years...we as a church were focused in prayer for our Pastor, Chuck Obremski. We prayed that if it be the Lord's will, he might be healed. With his recent passing...I want to make sure that we as a church and as individuals...keep our focus.

Mike and Jo Paddison at Kindred shared a perspective that they had. It comes from
2 Samuel 12:15-23. It's the story about David and Bathsheba's baby...who after birth became very sick and eventually died. While the child was deathly ill, David fasted and prayed that his child would be healed. When the child died, servants were fearful of telling David the news since he was so desperate. When David was told the news of the child's death he got up, washed, put on new clothes and went into the House of the Lord to worship. When asked why, this was his reply:

2 Samuel 12:22-23 - He answered, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, 'Who knows? The LORD may be gracious to me and let the child live.' But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."

Like David...we need to keep our focus on the Lord and worship and praise Him for who He is. We need to remember our aim and focus as a church. What is that aim, what is that focus? That focus is "Reaching the World with the Word". The Word of God, Jesus Christ and the gospel message. There is a world of people who are lost and dying in their sins. We need to keep our focus on getting the Word of God to the people who are perishing.

One of Chuck's admonitions...was to not drop the baton as we take the next leg of the race. We have been handed that baton...and must keep our focus...so that one day, when we are called home, our Savior Jesus Christ will welcome us with the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

And joining us will be the many who received that gospel message, salvation and forgiveness from their sins.

"Don't drop the baton." Let run our leg of the race well!

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...