Friday, June 17, 2005

There's no place like home...

I just returned from a brief trip to Las Vegas and I am ever so glad to be home. I thank God for his hedge of protection around me. I was able to travel there and back with a gentleman from work. He is a fellow Christian and conservative Republican...so we were able to talk work, politics and religion....thank you Kris. You get a thumbs up as a traveling companion...you are easy going and a good conversationalist.

Thank you to my sister Denise and her children for watching over my pets...Daisy, Nathan and Moss. It was a huge relief to know that they were well cared for in my absence.

Talk about the proverbial fish out of water...I was a living, breathing example of it. My goodness...Las Vegas is a modern day example of Romans 1:18-32 (click on the above link). The open sin and degradation and glorification in wickedness simply takes ones breath away.

Make no mistake...in no way am setting myself up as a paragon of virtue. I know all too well my sinful fallen state. I have been and saved by the grace of God and in no way could have saved myself from my sin. I'm well aware of the garbage that comes out California and is exported to the world from the movie industry...and the daily scandals that fill the news stories each day from this lovely state.

But what goes on in Vegas is sin taken to the "N'th Degree". I stand with my mouth open...and that Roman's passage comes to mind. Especially Roman 1:32b "they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them." I can't even imagine what it would be like to be a Christian in that environment...or to raise children there.

Now my idea of good vacation...a nice, relaxing and fun place to be is a cabin in the mountains or a trip to the beach...maybe a day up in Solvang. Vegas...tops my list of worst vacation destinations.

There is so much that I could say about that place..but mostly I thank God for bringing me back home...to my home...safe and sound. Not sure what lessons God would have me take away from my days there...whether it's lessons about me or the world or lost sinners? I kind of felt like the reluctant prophet Jonah while in Vegas.

No comments:

The Berlin Letters by Katherine Reay – Fascinating, Compelling, Filled with Intrigue

  When I read the description about Katherine Reay’s new book, The Berlin Letters , I wanted to read it.   So glad I had the opportunity.  ...